Lee Ziemba was kind enough to answer a few questions for the ‘Blogle this week. #73 has been a big part of the offense’s success so far this season. The junior from Arkansas talks about Coach Chizik, his pregame rituals, and professional wrestling in this WarBlogle.com Exclusive Player Interview. Update: Check the end for a BONUS question.
1. What were your first thoughts when you heard that Gene Chizik was hired and now five games into the season, how have your thoughts changed?
My thoughts really haven’t changed much. I knew from the first meeting that I could trust him and the staff he would eventually hire to get us in the right positions to win ball games.
2. Did you ever have thoughts of transferring after the coaching change?
3. What has been the most surprising thing about Coach Chizik and his staff?
The energy and excitement they bring to every practice.
4. What do you think is the biggest reason for the offense’s success?
Game-planning and execution.
5. How do you think the team handled the large crowd at Neyland Stadium, and how do you think it helped for this week’s trip to Arkansas?
We practiced all week for the noise and did a few things different to make our checks and calls. I’m sure it won’t be any different at Arkansas.
6. Who is one player we may not know of now, but we’ll definitely be hearing his name in the future?
7. What is your favorite thing about playing football for Auburn?
Being a part of a family that transcends the barriers of black and white, offense and defense, etc.
8. What are your normal pregame activities/rituals?
I’m very superstitious, so this year I’ve been doing everything pretty much the same. i.e. where I sit on the bus, what time I go to bed, what I eat, what songs I listen to and in what order, playing solitaire and making sure I win at least two games on the way to the stadium.
9. Which former player did you look up to as a freshman and why?
Josh Thompson. He was a good friend and a leader.
10. Which pro player do you think you could be compared to?
I’d love to be compared to Marcus McNeil.
11. What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
I play the upright bass.
12. Who is the best professional wrestler of all time? Who was your favorite?
The best was Hulk Hogan. My favorite was Sting.
13. What are all of your tattoos and what is the meaning/story behind them?
I have a cross on my chest over my heart to keep the Lord close by during my busy days.
I have Ziemba down my right arm telling me to always remember how I was raised and to remind me that I represent my parents and sister in everything I do.
I have Jeremiah 29:11 on my arm. It’s my mom’s verse that she picked for my life. It reminds me that God has a plan for my life…good plans.
I have the state of Arkansas on my back. It symbolizes moving on from past accomplishments, but remembering where I came from.
Those pregame rituals border on OCD…
You should’ve asked him what’s up with all the false start penalties… :P jk Great interview.
Should have asked him what book that is he has tatted on his arm.